Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Disclaimer

There's something that I need to say before I continue to make posts on this blog.

I don't claim to know exactly what the future will be like. Maybe cold fusion will be figured out and all of our energy needs will be met. Or maybe there will be enough technological innovation that will let us survive the onset of declining fossil fuels.

But realizing just how much our lives depend on fossil fuels, and realizing that it would be one helluva feat to transition the goods we consume, our modes of transportation, our lifestyles, the economy, etc., away from fossil fuels, and also realizing that worldwide oil production is quite likely to peak in the next five to ten years (oil production already peaked in the U.S. in 1970), it's reasonable to say that we're in for some hard times ahead. Wow, that was a doozy of a run-on sentence.

Actually, I would prefer that nothing bad happens in the future. I'll admit, I enjoy cruising along a dead street late at night. I enjoy getting in my car and going out to eat. I enjoy having air-conditioning and a natural gas stove. I use a lot of products that were made with petroleum.

But I'm also sobered by the implications of peak oil production, and that's why I've started this blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home