Sunday, June 18, 2006

Strategic places to live

The three rules of real estate: location, location, location.

When I'm ready to buy a house, I'm going to look for one that is within walking distance of important places.

My dream house would be six blocks (or less) away from as many of the following as possible:

Bank

City hall

Church

Library

Grocery store

Commuter rail and/or light rail station

At least one bus route

Two or three schools

Post office

A park and/or some other kind of nice open space (mountainside, cemetery, nature preserve etc.)

Other various shopping places

And lastly, it would be wonderful to live within walking distance of where I work, or at least within walking distance of a mode of mass transit that can take me to where I work.


You might be thinking that the above is too much to ask. But if you study an area carefully, you can determine what locations are within walking distance of most of the above. And if you stay vigilant, you might find a good house for sale in one of those locations.

I'm going to start a series of posts that will highlight good locations in Davis County for buying a house, based on the above criteria.

I just think it would be nice to live in a place where you didn't have to get in your car to go everywhere.

1 Comments:

Blogger google_PEAK_OIL said...

I bought in Davis County before I was PO aware. I still can, and usually do walk/bus to work but it's 3.5 miles each way. The closest grocery store is a mile.
If I had it to do over, I would have picked up a #70 bus schedule and scouted out places to live along that route. I goes from downtown Ogden to downtown SLC and passes thru every major business district in between. It runs frequently, late, early, and on Sundays.
The #70 intersects with the Greyhound depots in both SLC and ogden, passes near several rental car outfits, and you can transfer in SLC to the SLC airport bus. So for those times UTA won't get you there, it will get you to a transportation alternative that will.

I would have also made sure there was a decent grocery store within walking distance so I wouldn't need a bus for that.

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home